Possibility or Uncertainty?

by Riza Matibag Muyot

“We can always wait for the sunrise and the sunset… for surely they will come. We can hope for the rain during summer… for sometimes they really pour. But how can we wait for something or someone… when we don’t know if they will come at all… We should only WAIT for something with POSSIBILITY but not for those without CERTAINTY.” ~Riza Matibag-Muyot

Images of Shambala… in moments of solitude
5:38nh; 6Mar2010

INSIGHTS:
Link:https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1225035672566&set=a.10200189203799344.1073741845.1429234605&type=3&theater

“Dear Riza: I never expected my response to you to be rather long. Will appreciate if you follow the link below. Thanks very much for your beautiful thought here. Continue unleashing your creative powers.”

“THE SHAPE-ABILITY OF POSSIBILITY AND UNCERTAINTY: OR HOW CHOICE TRANSCENDS THE LIMITS OF OUR TRAPS ”
~ Rolando S. Dela Cruz March 4, 2011 at 3:13am
Link: <http://educatinganation.blogspot.com/

EDUCATING A NATION – PROF. ROLANDO S. DELA CRUZ
Thursday, March 3, 2011

[My friend Riza beautifully wrote a thought on her page that features the majestic sunset (or was it sunrise?) at Shambala. She says: “We can always wait for the sunrise and the sunset… for surely they will come. We can hope for the rain during summer… for sometimes they really pour. But how can we wait for something or someone… when we don’t know if they will come at all… We should only WAIT for something with POSSIBILITY but not for those without certainty.”

Thank you Riza for enriching this world with your provoking insights.

Here, I offer an alternative (but not necessarily opposing) take that, hopefully, could form part of a bigger gamut with Riza’s challenging thought.]

I – Possibility is DEFINITELY different from uncertainty. The first is positive; the second, negative. But come to think of it, they both form part of a continuum we call life: the first is like a glass seen half-filled, the second a glass seen half-empty. The thirsty worships the liquid in the container like god, the water-filled belly loathes the liquid it feels unnecessary. The same water of life can be seen differently in another milieu: the possibility of abortion could be happiness to some; the uncertainty of abortion is surreal to others.

II – Life is both sunset and sunrise: it is not defined mainly by our resolve but by how we are positioned in the flow of things, and how we are positioned can sometimes be a trap – much like how the earth traps us. No wonder, traps can create great literature! The traps of space, the traps of distance, the traps of feelings, the traps of slavery in the mind, the traps of capitalism and all other -isms, the traps of seeming emptiness, even the traps of over-purposefulness! But imagine if the earth rotates another way, then the sunrise will actually be the sunset of our lives, and all traps are valued as necessities for genuine joy. For now we cannot fathom the opposite of what we have come to accept. But who are we to say that things could not change if and when God wills it?

III – Science hopes to understand the flow of life and un-life, and strives to influence it: at times successful, yet often a failure. But with some sparks in our being – some crazy thoughts and, perhaps, a dash of philosophizing – we get to appreciate the balance of things, we get to discover some amalgamation of meanings of existence: the negative and the positive, the sunset and the sunrise, the uncertainty and the possibility. Possibility is definitely different from uncertainty. But ONLY FOR NOW! For who am I to say that the possible is indeed possible, and the uncertain indeed uncertain? Like what Job realized before his Creator, there is so much that is beyond my measure of things.

IV – There are a few left, though, that could be a subject of my choice. Indeed it is just a limited list of things for which my choice of the things to wait can be applied, for the coming and going of things I cannot even predict with certainty. For me, I am sometimes challenged by not waiting for the sunrise or the sunset, for I easily cognize what to expect and undemanding recall can sometimes bore humans. I am challenged, though, to wait for the moon that disappears one second when it was there full the previous second, then changes colors from silver to magenta without warning or absent any shadow of fear. Sometimes I relish the impossible when it is yet to be fulfilled – like visions incomprehensible to many a sense – yet this only proves my ordinariness and predictability just like most people, for lack of contentment!

V- There is nothing right or wrong in waiting for anything. What I wait for, I do not expect all others to anticipate for the level of appreciation and abhorrence varies from person to person. And it is not my right to judge anyone what he likes if I dislike it. For in the end, it is just a choice which is that to wait for and hope for in this world and beyond – whether it is heaven or hell. And I cannot even blame the others, if they do not wait and hope for anything at all. BECAUSE that is their choice; AND that is their choice.

4 March 2011

2:25 am

Posted by EDUCATING A NATION at 12:03 PM

Rollie – There’s no better compliment than from a very good writer who has three Palanca and various writing awards to boast.

My dear friend, I will not say thanks because mere thank you would not be enough. I guess the best way to show my appreciation is to try my best to be a very good writer like you after giving me encouragement, support and inspiration…
~Riza Matibag Muyot March 4, 2011 at 5:34pm

Hope solidifies our faith. What good is hope if faith is wilted away. Aren’t we hopefuls because within ourselves are sparks of faith. and with these sparks, a burning desire to accomplish things beyond our own limits and the imaginable is ignited. The impossible transmutes into possible? The uncertainties unleash into certainties?

Makes me ponder.why diyosa said that we should wait for something with possibility and forget about the things without certainty? AHHHH, because what used to be impossible becomes possible when a hint or tinge of certainty unveil.

Sorry for my rambling.. just having a Rubik’s disorder here figuring out why a visionary such as Riza make this comment. and it is all making sense to me now.
~Maria Gilda Racelis March 16, 2010 at 5:16am

I love you Ging! You are the child that I adore during our college days and now you are one hell of sensible woman that I admire.

Faith gives us the courage to face adversities… Hope gives us the light to continue walking even in the dark… But there is such thing as REALITY that one has to face and Destiny that one cannot escape… Acceptance is the key… some things are not meant to be… So, why waste your energy waiting when you have a life to live… so live and let live.. in the best possible way…
~Riza Matibag Muyot March 16, 2010 at 11:46pm

When one learns to enjoy the moment, one does not need to hope.
~Marius V. Violago March 16, 2010 at 6:20am

I will not disagree. but hope is what brings optimism and positivity. There have been moments or times in our lives and there will always be when challenges/trials or tribulations dwell and wherein HOPE becomes the light peeking in to surmount the challenges.

As humans, it is innate to long for something else. to find a vacuum or emptiness in our own being… in our crude existence. Hope is a virtue… it is hypocrisy to say that we never hope in our lifetime.
~Maria Gilda Racelis March 16, 2010 at 6:34am

Very true, Marius! Sometimes, we just have to stop thinking… it is enough reason that we are truly happy at that very moment…
~Riza Matibag Muyot; March 16, 2010 at 11:52pm

Eddie Asegurado what’s been buggin’ you?

March 16, 2010 at 7:32am

Riza Matibag Muyot Oh, Ed… its nothing… Madness is part of my being…

March 16, 2010 at 11:54pm

Susan Diana Malanay In all things, know where to stop. Sometimes you need to finish before the end, while other times you must go. TRUE knowledge is knowing when to go forward…and when not to.

March 17, 2010 at 12:45am

Susan Diana Malanay When we concern ourselves with acquiring or losing things, the only thing we truly get is a lack of inner peace. Yet when we accept what we have, CONTENTMENT reigns !!! <3<3<3

March 17, 2010 at 12:49am

Thaddeus San Pascual I concur with you all. I learned a lot from this forum. Thanks everyone! March 17, 2010 at 3:20am

@Riza(mutual admiration club.. love you too.) loka mo. idolo kita no.
~Maria Gilda Racelis March 17, 2010 at 7:41am

That is the reason why we have the same taste in… magkaiba nga lang ng panahon at pagkakataon… ha!ha!ha!
~Riza Matibag Muyot March 17, 2010 at 7:44am

Ay naku, this time, i will tell you to shut up(lovingly). ang Diyosa, immortalize no. you have been immortalized. And knighted. look at what you have done.

Your creation crafted into unbelievable heights. The mystery is pulsating in Shambala inasmuch as the mystery clinging in the master herself. If Jean Harlow is the archetypal platinum blonde of 1930’s and Marilyn Monroe, the definitive 1950’s goddess… Riza MM is the indefatigable Diyosa of Shambala…

I thought Maria makes it happen. However, Riza is the force to be reckoned with.

Mabuhay!!!
~Maria Gilda Racelis March 17, 2010 at 8:10am

Ging, you’re one person that can unveil the mystery… not only because you’re good but because we’ve got something in common… ha! ha! ha!
~Riza Matibag Muyot March 17, 2010 at 8:27am

Thanks for sharing this photo. how nice ‘no? even if it’s the most over-killed subject…jaw dropping pa rin, iba talaga pag nature with the venue adding more character to it.
~Mannet Villariba March 17, 2010 at 1:26pm

Hi, Mannet. Thanks. Sony T200 digital lang ang ginagamit kong camera. Mas maganda siguro kung SLR.
~Riza Matibag Muyot March 17, 2010 at 1:29pm

This shot is really beautiful.
~Lourdes T. David March 5, 2011 at 12:26am

Wow!
~Carlo Gambino June 23, 2011 at 6:17pm

The exchanges of thoughts are better than the picture… read on…
~Riza Matibag Muyot June 23, 2011 at 6:19pm

Oh, i just thought that the sweet and enlightening conversation above is a the juice of that picture.
~Carlo Gambino June 23, 2011 at 6:22pm

… and of course the people behind these thoughts are brilliant, gorgeous and heart-warming friends…
~Riza Matibag Muyot Jue 23, 2011 at 6:32pm

All I can say is I always marvel at God’s creation.
~Lourdes T. David June 23, 2011 at 11:37pm

Amazing shot!!
~Olegario Dianne November 4, 2011 at 8:32pm

Breathtaking!
~Lourdes T. David August 5, 2012 at 10:44pm

Oh yes Riza, we must wait for what we deserve and not for what we desire.
~ Hilario F. Tamor Jr. August 5, 2012 at 8:50pm

But who knows what we deserve? Perhaps, whoever makes us happy is the one that we deserved.
~ Riza Matibag Muyot August 5, 2012 at 9:06pm

Well in that case I do have them all now…
~Hilario F. Tamor Jr. August 5, 2012 at 9:08pm

Sometimes what we desire is not what we deserve.
~Vianne Labay Sillador August 5, 2012 at 10:22pm

…But if what we desire can make us happy, why not? As I’ve said, perhaps, we deserve whoever makes us happy.
~Riza Matibag Muyot August 5, 2012 at 10:50pm

Oh yes that’s why we desire it/them but do we deserve them or do they deserve us?
~ Vianne Labay Sillador August 6, 2012 at 7:46am